Its a little work, but create yourself a assembly line and you won’t regret it.
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5 tablespoons cooking oil ( I prefer olive oil)
- 2 onions sliced ( I prefer Vandalia onions)
- 12 slices of rye bread
- 6 slices Colby cheese
- 6 slices of provolone cheese
- 8 tablespoons of melted butter
- Thousand Island salad dressing (optional)
- Seasoned the beef with salt/pepper and form 6 patties that are slightly larger than the bread
- In a large skillet, heat up 2 tablespoons of oil and saute onions until tender and brown, remove onions and add more oil if needed. And start cooking your patties until they are cooked thoroughly and browned.
- Once patties are cooked, start making your sandwiches, with one slice of each cheese top and bottom and fill with patty and onions and top with thousand Island dressing if desired.
- Wipe out your skillet or using a griddle, coat one side of the sandwich with your melted butter and place that side down, while that side is cooking coat other side with butter. Cook until bread is golden.
- Repeat until you have 6 delicious patty melts.